- Ancestry.com - We set up a shared account in Dec 2010 for my dad's 70th birthday. It's pricey, but useful. The search annoys me at times, with limited ability to refine results. But if you work with it enough, you get better at it.
- Italian Genealogical Group - I have a lot of family from New York City, so this site has been great! Includes a vital records search. You don't get the document, buy you can find dates and other info to add to searches of other resources. You can also use the info you find to order selected documents.
- Chronicling America - Newspaper digitization project from the Library of Congress. Full-text searching! Wonderful resource.
- Fulton History - Quirky site, but lots of digitized, searchable newspapers from New York State.
- Digital Arkivet - Access to searchable census records from Norway. Site sometimes seems to flip from English to Norwegian, but if you use Google Translate, you can usually figure things out.
My Favorite Resources
These are the resources that have been particularly useful so far in tracking down information on relatives.