Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Genealogy Field Trip

Planning a trip to Washington Cemetery, Brooklyn, to look for great-grandfather's grave.  Keeping links and info here for easy reference.

Apparently, this cemetery is big and difficult to navigate.  I'm trying to reach office in advance to confirm hours and everything.  Can't reach them so far.  Details:

Washington Cemetery
Address: 5400 Bay Parkway, New York, NY 11230
Phone: (718) 377-8690
Charles Gordon
Death: May 9, 1918
Burial: May 18, 1918
Visit: Saturday, Oct 6

Washington Cemetery (Jewish) McDonald Avenue and Bay Parkway, Brooklyn, NY 11230, Washington (Brooklyn) Founded 1867 County: Kings/Brooklyn 5400 Bay Parkway at MacDonald Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11230 718-377-8690 Records can be retrieved alphabetically by deceased's last name, chronologically by date of burial, and by burial society. They have excellent maps of each burial society plot area.

Apparently, sections of the cemetery were managed by "Associations" that could represent county of origin.  So I did a search for "Washington Cemetery" and "Association" and found this:
Not useful yet, though.  My great-grandparents' marriage certificate cites "Horodischer Bros" as performing the ceremony, but I don't see that group listed.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Beth! I just did a search for Horodischer and your page came up, I saw this:

    “My great-grandparents' marriage certificate cites "Horodischer Bros" as performing the ceremony, but I don't see that group listed."

    I know it’s a couple years after this post, but---Most of my family is buried in the Horodischer Brother’s Benevolent Society at Mt. Hebron. What were your GGParents names?

    I’m in search of people connected to HBBS and their families! I don’t know much about the society, other then Horodischer is in Belarus; most of my Great Aunt’s and Uncle’s were from there, as were my Great Grandparents-Rose Slotnick(nee Zolotnitzky and Zlotnick)-Markowitz and all her siblings. The last place my Great Great Grandmother, Rose’s Mother, lived was in Slonim, Belarus, she left there after her husband died in 1922 and came to the US, a year later in 1924 she passed away from Alzheimer’s.

    Hopefully I can catch you! Hope to hear from you soon,
    Erica Hersh
    Hersh.Erica@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete